Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Love Live! (2nd Season)
View Single Post
Old 2014-04-07, 09:55   Link #78
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Faster than the speeding traffic, more powerful than a heavy rainfall, able to leap A-RISE foes in a single bound... It is Honoka!

What a fantastic kick-off for Season 2!

They did an amazing job managing to maintain the strengths of Season 1. We again have the same mix of uplifting drama, lighthearted comedy, flashy moe, heartfelt earnestness, and purposeful plotting. Love Live! continues to combine these all together like it was a classic Disney movie. Honestly, that one musical bit near the beginning was like classic 2D Disney at its heights. Just wonderfully whimsical win right there. Love Live! does "feel good" with such impeccable grace, style, and charm.

Four specific things I liked:

1. Honoka as Student Council President was a neat and unexpected twist. It's good to have something surprising to kick off a sequel with.

2. Nico and Hanayo's characterization was very tight, showing how both care a great deal about school idols, each in their own way.

3. Honoka is still, at heart, a fun-loving free-spirited opportunistic girl that takes the bull by the horns, but she has learned some lessons along the way. I liked how she was initially against the idea of getting involved in Love Live all over again, given the negatives that came with it last time. Speaking of those negatives...

4. Honoka literally shouting away the rain may be a bit cheesy, I'll admit, but it's also very nicely symbolic. What brought Honoka down last time? Stormclouds and rain. Fear A-RISing from that happening again is why she was initially against getting involved in Love Live again. So what better symbolism to cement Honoka overcoming that fear then her shouting away her old rival - Stormclouds and rain?

Speaking of symbolic/suggestive visuals, will the new President Honoka manage to pierce the A-Rise heavens with her mighty finger-drill? I can't wait to find out!