View Single Post
Old 2014-04-01, 09:32   Link #100
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
I'd disagree with that. The whole point of having the battleroid mode in macross was SPECIFICALLY to board and possibly take over zentradi ships.
There are few animated instances, but the roid mode (or dedicated destroids) are ideal when you have to root out entrenched "giant class" forces that have holed up in objectives that need to be taken over instead of destroyed. (the very brief use of destroids with flame throwers clearing out vajra infestation on frontier comes to mind). Also, Macross pilots have learned that the roid mode is best applied in urban combat where buildings provide cover which also reduces the range of combat.
Actually, that’s pretty much the case in almost every series from Real-Robot genre like Patlabor, Full Metal Panic, Muv-Luv, Gunparade March, etc. But I’m not talking about the functionality of the Batrroid (aka. humanoid form). I’m talking about the plausiblity of using a giant humanoid mecha in real battle at all based on physics and engineering which quite a number of scholars has said that it’s silly in and of itself. I’m not only talking about Macross, but a slew of other Real-Robot series. Even Kalinin (a character from Full Metal Panic!) once said in the show something like this (paraphrase) “The existence of humanoid Arm Slaves (the giant robot term in the series) is really baffling. They look straight out of science fiction and shouldn’t exist if not for the mysterious Black Technology”. So there you have it. One of the main characters in one prominent mecha series even admitting that using giant humanoid mecha for any battle is pretty much silly (hence the need of suspension-of-disbelief from the audience to enjoy this particular genre).