Thread: Future Warfare
View Single Post
Old 2014-02-15, 00:59   Link #43
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Using an unmanned aircraft for air-to-air combat would necessarily mean that the platform is vulnerable to return fire. But moreover, a human pilot might also intentionally sacrifice those robotic aircraft to prevent his own fighter from being shot down. “My life cannot be replaced,” Pietrucha said. “It’s not an abstract consideration in the cockpit and I’ll expend unmanned airplanes left, right and center in a way I wouldn’t even consider using my own wingman because the threat is too high.”
I am amused that the interview suggests that this might be too expensive as a human pilot would sacrifice drones to save his own life. But what good is a done if you can't save a human life? Isn't the whole point of drones, to cut down on casualties? By now we should realise the US military is better off spending a million dollars to save a soldier than to suffer the morale penalty when the coffin got sent home. Trying to say the human life is too expensive to save is putting the cart ahead of the horse.