View Single Post
Old 2006-03-14, 00:46   Link #81
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benio
The key here is that how do you get people who don't normally watch anime to give it a try. Convenience is one important factor, I believe. If it requires even the slightest effort beyond what they normally do, it's probably not gonna happen. That's why I think dedicated channels airing different kinds of anime at various time slots should have some impact. And if the one they try happens to be the one they like, I believe they'll likely want to watch more. Reruns after a series has finished or aired for a while should also help. If you hear people talk about it and you’re kind of interested but you can't watch it from the beginning, you’ll probably just give up.
I doubt it is possible, in the current stat of Japan, for non Otakus/kids to watch anime. The sterotype and generalization of that title (Otaku) is enough to scare off practically everyone who isnt an Otaku yet.

Would you, as a completely regular member of society, go and get yourself to try watching an anime, when the title of Otaku is practically given to you the moment you are seen watching one (even among family members), to be followed by the label of, "lolicon, child rapist, loner, loser, mentally unstable, never get laid, scum of society"?

kj1980 mentioned in another thread, that there was a person who once taught as a teacher in a university (or some rather large education insitute). The moment he proclaimed his "Otaku status", he lost his job, and ended up in some tuition centre to continue his teaching job.

Granted, I've heard on how the situation with being an Otaku is somewhat improving, making it somewhat "ok" to watch anime as a casual viewer. The accuracy of this rumor can only be confirm by someone who is actually living in Japan.

In any case, I dont see why there is a need to get "more people to watch animes", besides trying to improve the image of Otakus in general. If people prefer their j-dramas and j-pop concerts, leave them be.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote