View Single Post
Old 2006-03-13, 23:38   Link #80
Benio

Thanks Bayoab and kj1980. Lots of info, lots of good points.

If everyone who watches anime is considered otaku, then anime studios should keep targeting at otaku. And to grow the market will then be to make more people become otaku. That's a challenge because, like kj1980 said, the general conception is that anime is for kids. And teens and grown-ups who don't watch anime will not all of a sudden start watching it.

I watched a lot of cartoon as a kid. Didn't watch as much when I grew up. Hadn't watched anime in years when someone introduced Marimite to me. Been watching anime since. If it had been Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist instead, despite them being so popular, more than likely I would not have kept watching anime. I'm not saying those series are not good; just not the type of anime I like to watch. For 24, I know it’s very popular but I've never seriously watched it. However, several of my coworkers recently talked about it and said it was very good. That made me think I might give it a try if there are reruns at a convenient time for me to watch.

The key here is that how do you get people who don't normally watch anime to give it a try. Convenience is one important factor, I believe. If it requires even the slightest effort beyond what they normally do, it's probably not gonna happen. That's why I think dedicated channels airing different kinds of anime at various time slots should have some impact. And if the one they try happens to be the one they like, I believe they'll likely want to watch more. Reruns after a series has finished or aired for a while should also help. If you hear people talk about it and you’re kind of interested but you can't watch it from the beginning, you’ll probably just give up.

And I guess you're right about the bubble. Still for viewers, the more series, the more choices you have. I don't think we can watch all of them but hopefully we'll get to watch more of the kind we like. Again, just my thought.
Benio is offline   Reply With Quote