View Single Post
Old 2006-03-12, 03:19   Link #78
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benio
Does anyone know if in there are any cable channels that air only anime-related stuff in Japan? In America, there's the Cartoon Network that does that. There's also the Food Network for people who love food and cooking, and the Home and Garden TV for those who love home improvement and gardening. These kinds of shows normally would never get good time slots on national (free) TV channels. And very few are aired. So if you don't get cable, you won't have many to watch.

These kinds of dedicated cable channels really have helped grow their respective markets. People like movies because they are scripted shows that tell interesting stories using good-looking actors. Anime is similar; it's just that it uses drawn characters instead of real people. I sometimes prefer anime because it can have any kind of story, or characters with any hair/eye color that can be even cuter than real people. If anime studios could grow the market instead of targeting only at a small group of people (otakus), that should benefit everyone. Just my thought.
Yes, we have that in forms of BS and CS satellite TV. Many families own this subscription service.

The truth of the matter is however, most people will likely stick to shows like watching live concerts, dubbed foreign language dramas (FOX's "24" is very popular here in Japan), etc. etc.

Simply put: Most teens in your country sticks to watching MTV. Similar thing here in Japan. Dad comes home from work, he's not going to watch anime. He wants to see K-1 fighting, Suzuki Ichiro playing for the Seattle Mariners, or soccer. Mom watches TV between household chores, she's going to watch cooking channels. Kid comes home from school, he/she wants to be "in with the times" so he/she watches channels dedicated to music and latest fashion trends.

Anime is for kids. That is the reality of how it is viewed - even in Japan. Yes, it is quite shocking for you guys, but that is the reality. While we do have anime only channels like bayoab has said, it's practically the same in America - people who view them are otakus. Practically you too are saying that when you say, "hey I love to watch Cartoon Network." Wow, I can sense the geekiness coming out from you. Same with me. Unless you are an avid fan of the original story who eagerly wants to watch the show by actually paying for it, no one is going to watch it.

If dad is bringing home the money to pay for the satellite service, he'll watch something more "normal." Kick-ass exhibition fighting matches, heart-pounding live action foreign dramas, or see our national hero hitting runs in MLB.

But like I said, animes are shown on local UHF stations late at night, or in satellite subscription service. As you said, it caters to grow that market. That's why you see otakus shelling out cash with over 50 anime shows airing next season. Who is going to watch them? Otakus. That's who it is catered for, and because of BS and CS channels, that is why anime shows ballooned to the bubble that we are seeing today.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote