View Single Post
Old 2014-01-02, 09:24   Link #1518
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
I wouldn't say that the twistedness of the ending in itself demands a continuation. Rather, the very obvious sequel-baiting to practically every single scene in the last 15 minutes demands a continuation. Not that I'm sure I'd even bother watching said sequel anyway since I doubt I will ever actually like what this movie did and I found the TV-series ending perfectly satisfying in its own right, but yeah, the ending just sets up future conflicts so blatantly that not continuing it would feel like a copout.
I agree.

Having Homura and her universe overwhelm Madoka and her's could work reasonably well as the ending of the entire series, depending on how you framed it. But it would be very bad to frame it with all these teasers of more to come (Madokami briefly reasserting herself, Homura talking about how they will be enemies, etc...) without having a continuation. Yeah, it would feel like a copout, and it would be a copout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoriu View Post
Sometimes I tell myself, this must make tons of money for Shaft. So they will make more sequels for sure, right?

But then I think of Haruhi, and I am not so sure afterall.
I think that KyoAni had a bit of a behind-the-scenes falling out with Kadokawa (perhaps due to E8, which some believe was forced on KyoAni by Kadokawa), one of their primary source material providers. And KyoAni had already done three Key works, and there was only so much Key work left unadapted there. So KyoAni decided to try to get their own in-house content to work with so they wouldn't be so reliant on Kadokawa and Key. Caught in the squeeze here is Haruhi.

Madoka is entirely different. Madoka is in-house content, basically. It's anime-original. SHAFT owns this lock, stock, and barrel. There's no source material provider that they need to deal with here.

I'm 95% confident that we'll get more Madoka anime at some point. It would have to take something truly startling to prevent it.