View Single Post
Old 2013-12-20, 16:08   Link #67
WhiteJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The authors experience seems to be mostly based on the old type of MMO's, where leveling through grinding was the main way to level. Given that the players are doing just that: Leveling through grinding, it stands to reason that this is the same in Elder Tale.
His experience is mostly from EQ2 (Mamere is known to have played it for a long time and it seems to be his fall back example whenever he needs one) which is somewhere between the two systems. It's got a linear EXP system and is very quest heavy, but like old MMOs questing seems based primarily around party questing as opposed to solo-questing towards end game raiding like WoW style MMOs. As noted by the talk about the Magic Bag, and events in the LN not yet covered by the anime, Elder Tales does have a fairly extensive quest system, though it isn't mentioned exactly how rewarding the experience is. So if we go off of EQ2, the issue is more that killing enemies after a certain point requires partying and in an MMO, finding a party is usually the hardest part of grinding.

Quote:
Really, Elder Tale as a whole seems to be more akin to the old type of MMO's. XP loss upon death, items drop on death, skill leveling requires raiding, even mobs many levels below you are a potential threat, soloing is only feasible for skilled players, all stuff that you don't really see much in modern day MMO's. Not surprising I suppose, given that this is a 20 year old game and all...
It seems to be a mixture of EQ1 and EQ2 combined with a sandbox like Skyrim (but with far more epic quests/raids)

Quote:
Anyway, Touhya and Minori have been training like crazy for a full month in just this episode alone, and yet they haven't dinged to cap at all. So leveling takes a long time, even for the lower levels.
Their training seems more to be about learning the mechanics then it does grinding for levels and experience. Additionally, if Naotsugu and Akatsuki are constantly jumping in to keep Tohya from dying then they're going to wind up stealing most of the experience.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoilery stuff might provide a few more handles for how long it might take to level:

Spoiler for novel spoilers:
I know but even with that ratio it seems difficult to gauge travel times due to factors which wouldn't be apparent in game; things like encounters on the road seem to be more likely and apparent then it was while in game. Real world factors like uneven terrain and so forth would also be contributing factors. There just too many variables to account for that I really didn't want to get sucked into the time sink that is thinking up the thousands of things which could further increase travel time beyond the time compression factor. And then I'd have to draw up a graph, make a flow chart... and oh god, kill me now before I lose half a day again.
WhiteJoker is offline   Reply With Quote