View Single Post
Old 2013-12-10, 14:49   Link #4
onetimeposter

hi. i've created an account here only to reply to your post.

this has troubled me for years. i sometimes need to hardsub foreign-language films for my dad to watch on his old dvd player. neither handbrake nor ffmpeg or other nasty, outdated contraptions ever worked for me.

but today i've discovered a really simple solution:

1. download and install Perian (i have version 1.2.3). it allows you to play most video formats and subtitles in quicktime which does not otherwise support them.

2. convert the subtitle file into .srt or another perian-compatible format (you might want to use jubler for this, it shouldn't be too difficult), give the subtitle file the same name as the movie file and place it in the same folder with the movie so that perian can automatically find it later.

3. open the movie with quicktime (i have version 10.0). it should now play with nice, large and bold subtitles. go to save as... . choose your directory and change the default "movie" format* to e.g. HD 480p. click save. you may now close the main movie window.

4. wait a while for the movie to convert and voila!

*the default "movie" format didn't work for me as it didn't hardsub the film, but only muxed the subtitles into the video in a single file container (similar to what they do with .mkv files).

hope this works for you and other people like myself who until now thought this was only possible on windows.

Last edited by onetimeposter; 2013-12-12 at 01:36.
onetimeposter is offline   Reply With Quote