View Single Post
Old 2006-03-03, 18:48   Link #64
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Just to show some of the other employment seiyuu have to turn to, there is now a video on tt showing Horie Yui in a Family Mart (Japanese convenience store chain) staff training video. Not sure how old she is there (she's now 29). I'll bet she was happy to get the gig.
What the heck is "tt"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirits having flown
Thank you kj1980 and eggplant for giving us a detailed background on how seiyuus make a living.

Can gaijins be able to enroll in training programs for voice acting offered by different talent agencies (I think Ken Production has this School Duo program or something for aspiring seiyuus)?
Do you really want to go through the trouble of getting a student visa for Japan, submitting dozens of paperwork to prove that you have sufficient income to get by, paying a hefty fee for a temporary residential permit for foreigners, with the restrictions of not being able to get jobs due to "student" status, just to become a seiyuu? If this comes a shock to you, well think again - the reciprocal is practically the same for people wanting to become a student in the U.S.

And even if you manage to get by, there are 10,000+ seiyuus that graduate such voice acting schools each year, in which only a handful gets hired by talent agencies. And even then, your salary is extremely low.

Do you really want to do that?

Quote:
Fun question: It possible if I can visit the different talent agencies (Aoni, Arts Vision, etc) and let my favorite seiyuus sign stuff that I have? :P
Oh sure. Talent agencies have all the time in the world to satisfy one fan out of a tens and thousands of otakus. If you haven't noticed, I'm being sarcastic. Can you go to a talent agency in your country and get an autograph signed by a star tied to that company? Most likely, they'll call security to shove you out into the street as a potential stalker. Oh wait, there's also a thing called a restraining order. Then you'll be blacklisted from all events that are tied to that seiyuu.

Unless you are a member of the industry, chances of you befriending a seiyuu is nil. If she says its a pleasure to meet you, duh - it's a facade. What? You expect them to say "you otakus creep the hell out of me" truthfully? Yeah sure.

Play it safe. If you like a seiyuu, go to a seiyuu event

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-03-03 at 19:37.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote