View Single Post
Old 2006-03-02, 22:48   Link #63
ImperialPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I don't think the present system involves competitive pressure. It's more like a combine of companies that keeps wages low and does not reward merit. If anything, it would tend to drive good people out of the business. It does serve to keep costs low, though, at least for the producers. Whether the producers (and agencies) end up skimming more profit for themselves and not either lowering prices or passing profits to the creative people, I don't know.
low wages = too many people trying to get the same damn job
low wages = not many people (relatively, price-wise) like the products/services they offer

Producers are able to keep profits simply because there aren't all that many producers, and your average john doe can't just decide one day to become a producer.

Now, we can get into some sort of an argument about that particular market being closed and the ups and downs of that, but I don't think that makes up a meaningful slice of the pie. I think the primary factor to low wages for animators/seiyuus is that there's just too many people trying to get those few jobs. =P

There may be some monopolistic market failures going on in the industry. However, it is pretty much accepted that a monopoly is necessary when people deal in digital goods, where the marginal costs of production are zero.

In the end, people make conscious choices when they decide on their careers (unless they happen to be stoned out of their minds at the time). If they choose to be a seiyuu or animator, forwhatever reason (lazy? unaware of market conditions? unrealistic?) they're basically accepting the wages the market is offering them. Want better wages? Best thing to do is either 1) do something else or 2) be really really good at what you do. You can't always do what you want in life.

gogo Econ 101.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote