View Single Post
Old 2013-10-26, 10:11   Link #5
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
So now I should start replacing my mplayer2 builds with mpv? Are these guys going to settle down someplace for a while?
Since mplayer2 is more or less abandoned even by its initiator (last commit was around 6 months ago), at this point I really don't see any reason to stay around it in general.

And yeah, it's really unfortunate that somewhere late last year there had to be another forking for us to get a somewhat sanely developed mplayer fork. That said, cracks in mplayer2 started to arise as far back as around 2011, as we saw a person ready to contribute significant amounts of code ragequit. I, and probably some other people as well, hoped that it would become better. Unfortunately, it really didn't. Thus mpv was born.

As far as current stability goes, so far I do not see any reason for why there would be another forking. Contributions are being taken in a relatively sane way, and I don't see similar problems popping up as with mplayer2, at least at the moment. So far it looks like mpv could actually be a project that would only be forked (in the sense of some other project 'trying to pass the torch further') if it ever loses all of its current contributors.