Thread: Licensed Log Horizon (novel)
View Single Post
Old 2013-10-12, 09:44   Link #60
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Food is actually one of the most important plot element, if not the most.
It's a catalyst to whole crap load of events that changes the course of their world.

By episode 10-11 of the anime you'll see what I mean... in fact, all major events and developments from episode 6~10 is possible because of it.
For some strange reason food always play a big role in Mamare's more major works (MaoYuu, LogHora and Afterschool Trattoria)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
There are some, but I don't think they will apply to the anime since it's mostly problems with the narrative the author use.

For example, wordy descriptions. The author is extremely wordy at some of the most odd moments.
Let's say person A says a simple question to person B. The narrative abruptly stops to give massive infodump on background of the the character, then blah blah blahs off in tangent from there, and a whole page or two later finally gets back to the scene with person B replying. Reader: eh, what the hell was the question again?

There's also the rampant usage of cliffhanger scene changes.
A segment climax with surprising declaration -> switch to event somewhere else, which climax to a situation -> abruptly switch back to the previous segment to show the reaction, etc.
It's a common writing style, and not inherently bad. But when you do it several times in a row? It becomes hair tearingly annoying.

I'm pretty sure these will be alleviated in the anime and manga though.
Mamare seems pretty awkward when it comes to narrative; his style is more fluid with MaoYuu's script format.

Another problem, one that also pops up in MaoYuu, is that Mamare have the tendency, an urge really, to be as precise as he can when it comes to details, especially when he's explaining a concept. While this makes good info dump, it can hurt the flow of his writing, which is as highlighted by aohige above.

To sum it up, Mamare is good with world building and he's also good at using tropes and stereotypes to create the effect he wants. His main weakness is the way he tells the story, which I think will be improved on now that he's gone pro and has an editor to work with him =3

Btw, on the topic about food, we might want to remember that while bland food is a new (and torturous) experience to the Adventurers, the same cannot be said to the Earthlings who are born to such world and, unlike the Adventurers, do not know what's it's like to eat tasty food. Comparisons cannot be made when there's nothing else to compare to, you see =3

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote