View Single Post
Old 2013-10-01, 22:04   Link #64
Primary Consult

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
The problems this action has are the ones I posted before. First, even in Railgun S (since they were so nice to move Misaki's scene) Mikoto shows a strong dislike of Misaki's ability because she uses it to mess with people's memories. Suddenly deciding to ask her to erase people's memories is out of character for Mikoto and inconsistent with future protrayals of her in canon inside Railgun and Index.

Second, when Mikoto learns of Touma's amnesia she thinks about getting help from Misaki as a favour (wouldn't have worked, but Mikoto didn't knew that) she ends dismissing it because she doesn't want to be indebted to Misaki. And now she's willing to do so for Shinobu just to put her on a better light. For Touma, with all that she owes him. No way she does it. That's how bad she doesn't want to owe a favour to Misaki. Another inconsistency and out of character.
Quoted for truth! I had noticed the scene and initially had no issue with it, but you're right: she *hates* Misaki's power and would not want to be in debt to her. They could still partially reconcile this though: when Daihaseisai is animated they can put in a short monologue where Mikoto solidifies her opinion on Mental Out. I don't see a way out for the indebtedness issue, though, other than sidestepping the issue (they could make her reason for not asking Misaki for help later to be that she doesn't trust with Touma's brain instead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
Yeah, asking for her friends help is acepted once they're involved, as long the help they provide is logical. Letting Saten fight Powered Suits with a wooden bat or Uiharu near chaingun range is not acceptable. Kuroko or other high-level espers helping to fight is okay. Uiharu should have been controlling the robots far from the front and Saten should have been let behind takeing care of Febri, a task she had proven to be good at.
Agreed, a much better way of everyone playing their role - Uiharu is not front line. All her (canon) front line stuff is incidental. Getting kidnapped (Kiyama), wrong place wrong time (Kakine), and being the only one willing to resolve an issue a certain way (parachute). All other times she's in charge of tactical and support. Having her back at the judgement office coordinating everyone's movements while controlling the robots, and immedately calling Haruue in (to the safety of the Judgement office rather than the battle) for telepathy help would have made more sense.

Leaving Febri with Saten would have been a lot safer for both of them than taking her to the front lines, too. However I gave that a pass since they were also targeting Febri, and pairing her with the strongest on the team could be seen as another option. Also, having Saten in Kongou's mech was a good idea [safer than on the ground], but she should have stayed in it the entire time. She is a "boots on the ground" support as shown by her actions in the OVA. I disagree about her needing more time to learn the mech - I thought of a Star Trek Voyager episode where someone with no battle experience whatsoever defeated an enemy by simply instructing the computer "attack pattern delta". Extreme example but AI assistance can make anything easy.
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote