View Single Post
Old 2013-09-30, 18:12   Link #58
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
It was certainly weird. I think it was temporary maturity though. Since Daihasesai arc didn't happen yet they don't really hate each other, they're just on edge to each other.

Neither one of them trusts the other at this point, but I don't really think things don't make sense there...

I also thought Mental Out was used to make people in the darkness not lash out at Mikoto + friends. That's what I actually thought instead. Shinobu implied Mikoto hacked the records away... which I'm sure
Spoiler:
but anyway, I think Shinobu implied from Mikoto that Misaki had helped reduce the darkness backlashing at everyone involved in the incident. I think Misaki might have made people in general forget about the darkness... that would make much more sense to me... If that were true, it would have fixed everything and might foreshadow something about next arc

Anyway, the other thing was that since Misaki's powers were used to make the darkness back off... I don't really see any problems with this arc except the still remaining time-line discrepancies which I'm thinking about, but haven't thought about that much yet... I'm not really sure the arc ended when people say it did... so I'm still slightly skeptical... as to whether it's a problem or not... but I'll definitely think about it and then put in my two cents...
The problems this action has are the ones I posted before. First, even in Railgun S (since they were so nice to move Misaki's scene) Mikoto shows a strong dislike of Misaki's ability because she uses it to mess with people's memories. Suddenly deciding to ask her to erase people's memories is out of character for Mikoto and inconsistent with future protrayals of her in canon inside Railgun and Index.

Second, when Mikoto learns of Touma's amnesia she thinks about getting help from Misaki as a favour (wouldn't have worked, but Mikoto didn't knew that) she ends dismissing it because she doesn't want to be indebted to Misaki. And now she's willing to do so for Shinobu just to put her on a better light. For Touma, with all that she owes him. No way she does it. That's how bad she doesn't want to owe a favour to Misaki. Another inconsistency and out of character.

Also, she asked Misaki to modify people's memories to put Shinobu in a better light, probably just downplaying how much she had helped STUDY. There's nothing said of doing it to protect Mikoto and her friends of the darkness neither it's implied by Shinobu, that's your invention. It wouldn't be needed either way because they didn't face the darkness (they face a rogue group who wanted to destroy AC) or left someone from STUDY to go free (I hope, what with the lack of resolution on that part), as we can assume they got them to jail like Thelestina.

Of course Aleister knows whats going on, he knows everything that goes inside AC. Why do you bring him up?

The estimated timeline of the arc is pretty spot on. It doesn't make sense. But that's not news from Railgun anime, they don't seem to care in that front. We can let that go as there are bigger flaws.

Quote:
Also, they had FIVE_UNDER this time because the point of the villains were for them to be wannabe villains. I mean that was the point...

This argument recently has been: me saying the villains are supposed to be weak. You guys replying, the villains are lame and weak so that's bad... I mean I understand why you're doing it, it's human nature... but it's sad I can't get my point across... IT'S FRUSTRATING
We already know the guys are weak and a joke, we are just making fun of them at this point. I think you're taking this a bit too serious.

Quote:
The other main reason I don't think this arc breaks canon is that Mikoto included her friends partly because they were already involved with Febri... and because Mikoto already could tell she couldn't handle the darkness alone... In fact, Mikoto relying on her friends in this arc here instead of Touma makes more sense because it shows that she doesn't always rely either on Touma or just do things alone. The point of Index is to show glimpses of what the characters are doing in the relevant arcs being discussed. Since Railgun world-builds Raildex... I argue that we don't know how Mikoto is when she's outside of Index arcs. Just because we always see her interfering with Touma in Index doesn't mean that she can't do things with her friends... That's the point I was trying to make. (We can't assume how Mikoto appears in the arcs that we see her is how she acts at all times in her personal life... I know it sounds weird, but in fictional universes it is important to recognize that readers never fully understand characters. Only the author does... Characters can always have other nuances that just haven't come up yet... That's true in real life, so I don't see why it shouldn't be true in a fictional universe as well that tries to be very "believable" (consistent). )

Yeah, asking her friends for help is acepted once they're involved, as long the help they provide is logical. Letting Saten fight Powered Suits with a wooden bat or Uiharu near chaingun range is not acceptable. Kuroko or other high-level espers helping to fight is okay. Uiharu should have been controlling the robots far from the front and Saten should have been let behind taking care of Febri, a task she had proven to be good at.

We are not complaining Mikoto acts different with the girls than with Touma. We complain that core aspects of her personality are either bent or ignored in these filler arcs, like her unwillingness of putting her friends into danger or her dislike of Misaki's powers as I explained above.

Quote:
Maybe Kamachi actually wants to write Mikoto as someone who does stuff with her friends when she's not involved in most Index arcs... Also... considering that Mikoto + her friends were all involved in the Endymion incident... this didn't seem that out of line either in terms of involving her friends...
Doing stuff with her friend doesn't have to involve a death match against 20000 Powered Suits, you know? Mikoto was involved in the Endymion incident and Uiharu acted as Mission Control. Saten wasn't really involved.

Quote:
I argue the remnant arc was different because that had to do with the Sisters directly and she doesn't want her friends to know about them and that was pointed out here during this arc when she wouldn't tell the others about the sisters. That's why remnant arc doesn't actually contradict why this arc doesn't make sense at least from my point of view.
Obviously she doesn't want them knowing about the Sisters. Problem is that Awaki pointed out that Mikoto was an idiot for involving her friend with the darkness (Kuroko had acted on her own but Awaki didn't knew that). You don't bring people who can't fight (like Saten or Uiharu) against people who will do anything to kill you, no matter how much Nagai or whoever in the team decided that was a good idea want it.

Last edited by LazyHunter; 2013-10-12 at 10:49.
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote