View Single Post
Old 2006-02-18, 17:00   Link #33
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
Relative. If 80% of a million goes the the publishing company, is it still a big sum when compared to the sharing per cent? If a seiyuu got a 50/50 deal and his product would suddenly become a worldwide success, he would relatively earn more than a singer with a 80/20 ratio.
Seiyuu receives little to nothing when she sings. The deal is between the talent agency in which the seiyuu resides and the record company. Not the seiyuu him/herself.

Perhaps I should clarify this so people don't make the idea that seiyuus are stars.

No, they are just corporate workers who have a job at a talent agency. Their main job is to provide voice acting service for the company. The more they do, the more money companies make with deals.

Let me put it this way: a worker creates a new taste for Coca-Cola, and it becomes successful. Does that worker see a share of the profit? Most likely not. He/she will probably get a raise or a promotion, but he'll never see the millions of the profit which is shared by the board members.

Besides, the main royalties goes to people who writes the lyrics and makes the music - not the singer. So, if you look carefully at the credits, it reads:

Lyrics by:
Music by:
Sung by:

Lyrics gets royalties because the lyrics to the song is published. If it is used in karaoke machines, then licensing costs margins goes to the person who wrote the lyrics. Same holds true for the original music. The singer? He/she just sings to the written lyrics and the music. Practically anyone can do that if they have a nice voice, so little money goes to them.

Hence, what I meant by "real artists" are the ones who actually does the lyrics, music, and the singing all together. Not many seiyuus can do this - if they did, they wouldn't be stuck in a job as a seiyuu.

The run-down:

Talent agency calls up their seiyuu to sing.
The lyrics and music are already made by the record company.
The girl sings to the lyrics and the music. She is paid a stipend for doing that.
The song is an instantaneous hit (to otakus).
The royalties goes to: the talent agency (which provided the singer) and the record company (which provided the lyrics and the music)
What did the seiyuu receive? The stipend only.

So what if the seiyuu gets pissed off for not receiving more? The talent agency can just say: hey, the hell with you, we have other seiyuus that can do your job. Want to go off on your own? Tough luck finding auditions and the jobs that you can only get through our connections.

Hence, that is what I meant by "more experienced and older seiyuus" that have the connections that can make off on their own. The rest (and the majority) of all seiyuu are bounded to their talent agency.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-02-18 at 17:16.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote