View Single Post
Old 2006-02-09, 16:22   Link #13
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroma
Perhaps someday as popoularity grows overseas it can move onto a more western business model. Considering we allready have seen the first instances of American companies comisioning Anime this may not be so far off. Ultimately some may find it a better investment to produce series and lure in foreign animators with better wages into a local studio rather than paying steep licencing or commision costs.
Um, no.

An animator at my company would be lucky to get the equivalent of US $5000 annually.
Quote:
They are often paid on a "per frame" basis, earning an average of 187 yen (US$1.60 approx.) per frame.
We're paid roughly the same, but per feet, which is 16 frames.

Note we are already doing Western animation, which do have higher budgets. Some of the staff have brothers / sisters at TAP (Toei Animation Philippines) and their wages don't vary by much. Unlike TAP though, we do a lot of KEY animation work.

Again, Western business model or Japanese business model. Doesn't matter, it's still a sweatshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
The only instance of "sharing the wealth" might be occasional food deliveries in the form of "sashi-ire" (Good job in working your asses off!! Since I feel sorry for you, here's some food. There's the microwave. Eat. Now get back to work you lazy tards!!).
Our wealth consists of pizza paid by the director from his own pocket money. And he goes, "I've been here for 48 hours. You should be ashamed for daring to go home!" The coffee, however, is not free.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote