View Single Post
Old 2013-01-25, 15:26   Link #24
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This isn't a thread talking about iPods, but rather iPhone 5. Multiple people have posted testimonials confirming that it works with certain software in that scenario. So I'm not sure what the point is in saying that it "doesn't work" when people can confirm that it does on the indicated hardware.
I'm still convinced he's wrong though. The most likely explanation by far is that there are artifacts that people just aren't noticing; a lot of the artifacts caused by decoding 10-bit as 8-bit are apparently pretty hard to see for many people (see for example this video where some video player company's representative is going "HEY LOOK 10-BIT SUPPORT" and then showing a video with blatant blocking and smearing caused by decoding 10-bit as 8-bit) and phone screens are really small. Another plausible explanation would be the player doing some funny post-processing to hide the decoding artifacts or something like that. Software decoding of 10-bit 720p and subtitle rendering on top of that on an ARMv7 is not really feasible, unless someone went and wrote a lot of extremely highly optimized NEON assembler, and I find that highly unlikely.

I only have a 4S so I can't really test it myself, but this is the classic 10-bit bork detector file. Very visible artifacts around the logo, among other things.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
And I thought iPhone was the same as ipod touch and ipad.
The latest iPod Touch has the same CPU as the iPhone 4S, i.e. it's one generation behind the iPhone 5.

EDIT EDIT: a lot of encoders are also pretty incompetent and probably aren't even bothering to dither the 8-bit input properly so there's nothing really using the two extra bits, and that usually results in few or no visible artifacts in the output when decoded as 8-bit.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2013-01-25 at 15:54.