View Single Post
Old 2012-10-21, 19:39   Link #8
ImperialX
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
I don't think any of the episodes you tested have particularly heavy subtitles. 720p 10bit works on just about any modern hardware nowadays, even netbook class stuff, but subtitles can bog any system down if heavy enough. The only heavy subtitle in recent memory would be UTW Shinsekai Yori 3 prologue -> part a transition. Can you try that?
To be honest, typesetting is always easy. It's the correct rendering of 10-bit that has always given people problems. That's why I chose scenes that have very high framerate or color contrast/saturation to show that the iPhone 5 treats it like a piece of cake.

However, it's true I should have put more comlex typesetting in. I just wasn't focused on that in the first video. So, I made a video just for you. If anyone else wants something to throw at the iPhone 5 before wanting to upgrade, feel free to ask me. I will be happy to test them for you.

File Tested:
[UTW]_Shinsekai_Yori_-_03_[h264-720p][FCD25C53]

Quote:
All of the episodes you tested are 720p I think (airing stuff usually isn't 1080p). Try some 1080p?
Unfortunately, 10-bit 1080p has colouring defects and occasional slowdowns. It's playable, but certainly not watchable from our standards. Thus I don't think there's any need to make a video for that. However this is more than good enough for any airing series, and that's the main point. If you download something in 1080p, wouldn't you want to watch that on a screen that has more than 1920x1080 pixels?

It will do 8-bit 1080p no problem though, that I can tell you.

Quote:
Anyways, in Fluff's defense, it would be a good idea to note that the iPhone 5 is about twice as fast as any iOS device preceding it. Things change quickly in tech, saying that TheFluff was spreading a rumor would be like saying all the people saying that the iPhone can't copy paste when it still couldn't copy paste were spreading rumors. It's not a rumor, it was something that was true then, but isn't now.
But the iPad (3rd gen) was already out by the time of that post. :P

Quote:
Can you back this up? The iPhone 5 is twice as fast as the iPad 3, AND has less pixels to push.
I can actually. I made a video for iPad (3rd gen) before, but back then there still wasn't an app that can render ASS subtitles fonts accurately. However, you can still at least see that the framerate isn't really a problem with the iPad. Subtitles are displayed as if they're SRT with no formatting. I know the Retina Display is huge, but the video itself is still 720p...

Naturally, the iPad is able to render subtitles now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
From a personal standpoint, I do conversions on the grounds of space economy rather than anything motivated by performance.
Of course! People who think like this end up buying tablets. I didn't buy a tablet for the performance. I bought a tablet because it's portable, has amazing battery, and a great screen. It's all for the sake of movability and content consumption.

I still use a MacBook Pro to actually get work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
That said, I don't think the iOS devices should be considered as 'small plastic toys'. They are reasonable forms of technologies used for a specific purpose, and older models simply lack the hardware to run processes that are now more common, such as playing back the latest and greatest videos
Apple actually wants you to think that we're in something called a "Post-PC" era where for many people, tablets can serve as their only computers. Now that we're seeing Microsoft's Surface for $499 that runs Windows RT, we can see that this is definitely not a joke.

For more and more casual users, a tablet will very likely be all they ever need.