View Single Post
Old 2012-09-03, 12:52   Link #100
Draugur

My ranking of characters, with some spoilers for people who didn't watch the Kai season

1. Rena
I preferred Mion slightly for a long time, but Rena's background story is really fascinating and deep. I like the mature and complex personality behind her 'kawaii' appearance. So it's a shame that her part in Kai is rather limited to a supporting character. As far as Higurashi in total is concerned, Rena is my favourite character. She had some good moments in Kai as well, for example when she confronted Takano about becoming Oyashiro-sama. For me, her appearance in the end of Yakusamashi-hen is the most heartbreaking moment (of many heartbreaking moments) in Kai. But she's also great in humorous scenes, for example being tied up when she wants to take Hanyuu home and talking to others in her usual relaxed way while being all bondaged in her chair.

2. Mion
I also like Mion very much because she has to carry the burden of being the next Sonozaki leader, while always caring about her friends, and sometimes being payed back with hatred and anger by them. Not to mention all the suspicion about the Sonozaki family. I think she has some memorable scenes where her leadership is put to the test and she doesn't fail to protect her friends. Although they were few, the importance of this very likable character should be recognized.

3. Rika
She's the lead character in Kai, no question, even though sometimes other characters take over for some episodes. Although we get to know very much about her and her mysterious charisma decreases when so much is revealed, I still like her very much. It's very interesting to consider how you would feel if you lived through the same experiences so many times. It's a miracle she can still smile and be in a good mood ...

4. Satoshi
My favourite male character and the true young hero of Higurashi. He fights for his sister even when she annoys him. He's courageous when the situation challenges him to do something, but he's not big-mouthed but rather shy in normal situations.

5. Dr. Irie
He's some kind of an ideal character; intelligent, caring, fun ... to good to be true somehow. Even though he also has a dark background, having done psychosurgery without knowing the will of the patients. His big weakness is letting doing Takano whatever she wants, even quietly agreeing to her bad deeds because they are useful for their research. His great scene from the sound novel teaching one Yamainu member about maids should have been in the anime, I think!

6. Oishi
He's a rough, mature and sly character and that's great because the story needs someone like him, as a counterpoint to all the young, enthusiastic characters. I enjoyed the moment very much when he talks to Akane at the graveyard. Maybe he really found some peace there. I love the scenes in the sound novel where Hanyuu talks about the life after retiring because it shows Higurashi is not only about young people.

7. Satoko
I like Satoko but I'm not a huge fan of hers. But there are great moments for her in Kai, for example when her fear of her parents is revealed, leading to the tragic event on Watanagashi day. I also think she's a great leading character in Yakusamashi-hen.

8. Takano
It was a very good decision to focus on her background story so much, because a great antagonist has to be done carefully with a convincing background story. That's how it should be done. Unfortunately, very few authous care about their villains as much as Ryukishi-sensei cares about Takano. There are some cliché-like scenes (evil laughter) which I didn't like but there were many good moments, also.

9. Hanyuu
I know Hanyuu is a very important character but in my opinion, when she joins there's nothing really new about her because there are already too many cute girly characters. I would have liked Hanyuu much better if she scared people more often. She should also be more divine instead of being so weak for the sake of 'moe'. Therefore, I really like the moments when she confronts Takano and shows her power.

10. Shion
It's not really fair to have Shion fall back so far, because she's a great character, also if I hate her sometimes, but this is not Meakashi-hen. And her feelings towards Satoshi are very touching and there's a great love story, even if we don't know whether Satoshi really loves Shion. I get really emotional when I imagine Shion sitting beside Satoshi's bed and saying 'welcome home' when he wakes up.

11. Tomitake
He seems naive and clumsy, I like him for that. He acts great in Matsuribayashi and his relationship to Takano is wonderful because he never lets her down, knowing he's her last ally and she needs him more than ever in the end.

12. Rika's parents
I treat them like one character ... they are only little supporting characters but I really like them. He is a strong-minded person with good will, and she is a passionate mother even if her passion doesn't reach Rika. I really feel sorry for her when she tries to save Rika, thinking she will suffer from the experiments.

13. Akasaka
Akasaka is a bit too much "Mr. Nice Guy" for me. Nearly everyone in Higurashi has his dark side, all the evil he does is forgetting about Rika. It's not enough to be a great character just to deliver strong punches and things like that, but I like him. He's just not complex enough to be really considered a great character, in my opinion.

14. Keiichi
I don't mean to be hateful towards Keiichi by mentioning him last but I really liked him better in the first season, when he made all kinds of mistakes and learnt from them in the end. In the Kai season he becomes the 'everybody's darling' type and gets everybody's praise because of his speeches. He becomes something like a very common youthful hero character whose energy sweeps away all evil in one blow. I never liked that kind of character.