View Single Post
Old 2012-07-17, 06:54   Link #183
kill-o-matic

Recently converted to Linux and I can't get any mkv with ordered chapters to play reliably with the suggested SMplayer + mplayer2 setup. The timeline loads correctly, but when it attempts to switch to the external segments playback will stall in most cases (except when it feels like cooperating, which is rarely). I can still seek into the external segments or play them from the chapters menu, so I don't know what the problem is. Anyone encountered this before?

VLC Player can handle the ordered chapters correctly, but I really rather not use that if I can.

Edit: Found it. Switching the audio output option in SMplayer from "pulse" to "alsa" or "sdl" fixes it (the others give me no sound but still transition correctly). Don't know if this has any downsides yet and I only tested it with AAC (LC) 2 channel audio. VLC however works correctly even with its pulse module selected, so either they use different versions or its a mplayer2 bug.

Edit2: "alsa" seems to cause hanging when quickly pausing/unpausing or flipping frame by frame, so switched to "sdl".

Last edited by kill-o-matic; 2012-07-22 at 19:05.