View Single Post
Old 2005-12-28, 08:45   Link #23
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
It seems 07th Expansion is largely a family done effort! Wow!!!
That's probably the biggest revelation, isn't it? Everything from programming to marketing are all handled among family members, it's really something.

As I read the various, er, revelations, I got the feeling that this was the "my mind was totally blank" thing that Ryukishi07-san was talking about in his 12/14 diary entry. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Eh, what is this game/series about? Can anyone provide a lowdown on the story?

Anyways, you guys who've played the game should try to keep your posts and stuff spoiler free, because they're all sprinkled with clues to potential spoilers.
It's hard to give a proper summary because the game isn't cleanly wrapped into one game, one story. But rather one game, split into many chapters, each chapter taking place with the same setting, but with totally different outcomes.

But if I were to give a general description, it would be something like the following, it's impossible to write a summary without spoiling things, but I'll try to keep it at a minimum:
Spoiler:

As I wrote that, I realized how impossible it is to write a proper "general" description of the story (because I know so much now). Anyone who played through the game would say "there is SO much more to it than that", and I agree, what I wrote is no more than the tip of the iceberg (and there would be multiple icebergs, mind you). This sound novel, like all great novels, isn't limited to a single genre. On top of the advertised "horror", "suspense", "mystery", Higurashi also contains just as much comedy (oh boy the comedy), drama, action, and even some romance (more specifically, just how powerful "love" can be, as demonstrated in the Meakashi chapter). It's a story that makes you laugh, cry, angry, scared, confused, and, most importantly, it makes you think.

At first, perhaps most people would step into the story thinking their ultimate goal would be to "figure out who the murderer is". But as one become more and more attached to our characters through all the events that can make one laugh-out-loud, burn with passion, stunned with shock, or moved to the point of sheding tears, and then faced with an uncertain but unavoidable outcome, the sense of powerlessness is true. As each new chapter releases go by, we see the same characters in the same setting, but with the story unfolding in a totally different direction, the readers will have to discover what similarities and differences that all these "alternate universes" share, think about the possibilities of events happening, and truly, not to find out "who did it", but to find a way to "avoid the tragedy".

Or as the catch phrase on the game package would say: "Challange the Tragedy"

Oh, other than that, it's just a bloody good game, I'm so happy I learned Japanese.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2005-12-28 at 17:40.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote