View Single Post
Old 2012-06-12, 17:52   Link #428
Kyosuke Magami

Sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread. I just watched this show for the second time, the first being back when it was originally airing. I'm not sure what possessed me to watch it again, but I'm glad I did. I'll also preface this by saying I haven't watched Next Season yet, but I plan on it.

At any rate, I think I feel compelled to respond because I realized how different my feelings are about this show the second time around. I think if you had asked me back when I first watched this series, I would have selected Haruka, but this second time around (and 6 or 7 years later) I strongly feel that my choice has to go to Mitsuki. Haruka was a great character, but the events in the story really work to paint a picture around just how dedicated Mitsuki really was. Ignoring the fact that she saw Takayuki through the rough period immediately after the accident, for the longest time it seemed to me that her primary concern was that he was happy. I suppose some might say that is selfish of her, and maybe to an extent it was, but if you take a step back and think about it, how selfish can you be when your goal is to make someone you love happy? One thing that can't be argued is that she used her actions to show how she felt, even though the message was often not received by the other party.

Earlier in the thread, much was said about Mitsuki's decision to cheat. The decision was perhaps regrettable, but was also done for a reason. Something had to give. I thought it was striking that, after she reveals what she has done to Takayuki (after nursing him back to health yet again), her response to his somewhat muted surprise is "you didn't get mad..." right before she runs out of the apartment. This line proved to me that it wasn't just a drunken mistake but more of a calculated decision. She was searching for something more. She wanted anger and sadness, a sign of caring, and instead she got what could almost be described as indifference.

I was a bit disappointed with the ending. For as much as the show focused on the relationship between Mitsuki and Takayuki, I thought not nearly enough attention was given to their reconciliation at the end. Conversely, I felt like more attention was given to Haruka's future endeavors and successes. Maybe this was done intentionally, a sort of "fill in the blanks yourself" type of thing.

You have to feel bad for Haruka in the end, but I think Mitsuki was the one who really suffered here, and despite her flaws she continued to support Takayuki. The show's writers did a great job portraying her character as dedicated, loving, and human. Now if only I could find a lady with all those qualities, I'd be set :-)
Kyosuke Magami is offline   Reply With Quote