View Single Post
Old 2005-12-21, 21:55   Link #24
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu
Yes I can. Victory does it better.
I'm only on ep 28 of Victory but it seems to me Tomino makes the deaths in Victory far more emtionally-gripping than in Zeta...In Zeta war is just war and death is just death (no glamorization or glory to it) In Victory the deaths are more viceral and harder to take IMO....

As for my rankings, I usually like to put the limited series (Ova's) and the normal series in different categories because of episode count, but this time I'll excuse that rule...

(Have yet to see G-Saviour, F-91, old skool SD Gundam series and MS Igloo...Currently on ep 28 of Victory)

1) Turn A Gundam (Not only top G-series, top 10 anime of alltime IMO...Characters, Atmosphere, Music, Development and the MS are all genious, especially the TURN X which is a brilliant MS that only Tomino could give life to)
2) 8th MS Team (The grittiness and realness of the series is unmatched)
3)Gundam X (Should be put in between Victory and Turn A, should be apart of the UC, too bad EVA overshadowed such a great series that examines Newtypes and puts closure to their existence)
4)Zeta (The coldness that is war, the truth of what it really is and that's... Death)
5)CCA (Char at his worse, Rau Le Creset seems to be an even more extreme version of Char from this movie...Char is my favorite maskguy and probably my favorite Gundam character, yet he was wrong for his stance and it's a pity he didn't realize it until the end)
6)MSG (loved it, but then I saw that some others were even better thanks to better animation and budgets)
7) Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz (Only Gundam series that deals with the philisophical aspects of war exclusively, you see non-sensical banter, I see great, epic exchange of ideals and dialouge unlike any other G-series and did I mention the action which is second to none in volume)
8)Gundam SEED (great re-telling of MSG, with incredible mask-guy and plenty of good drama that's done aswell if not better than any other G-series)
9)Gundam 0083 (This probably would be higher if Nina Purpleton wasn't so annoying--The Gundams in this series are visually imposing especially Gundam PHYSALIS and it's atomic bazooka)
10)G Gundam (As much as this gets criticized it never tried to be something it wasn't and had a very compelling underlining plot)
11)GundamZZ (Gundam Voltron!! Yay!! I think Tomino started to smoke marijuana during the first half of the series, and i didn't mind much...)
12)GUNDAM 0080 War in the pocket (not great, but not bad...Had it's moments)
13)Gundam Seed Desinty (The biggest waste of potential I've ever seen in all my years of watching anime...only Tenjou Tenge* can compare and I actually still liked that series)
14) SD Gundam Force (I enjoyed that show on many levels, mostly chronic ones , but it still sucked although it was cute)

Like I said I'm just halfway thru VICTORY and if it keeps on it's current pace, I'd likley put it right under CCA as of now...

*I bring up Tenjou Tenge for comparison because it's the only other series that suffers from one of the same problems as GSD and that's letting the old cast suck the life out of the series...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2005-12-21 at 23:12.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote