View Single Post
Old 2012-03-09, 08:46   Link #86
liars_paradox

Can we start up a thread about Holo's hair color from the original novel series?

I'm starting the novel series at volume 4 (figured that I'd skip the volumes that correspond to season1 of the anime). And, found that on page 4 of Volume 4, Hasekura describes Holo as having blonde hair.

That explains the model on the novel covers having blonde hair. Can we start a new thread discussing this topic? I don't think that it's an unreasonable one, because I just want to hear people's opinions on why they think that they ended up changing her hair color on the anime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
according to a person on the funimation forum claiming to be cousins with the english voice actor for horo (brina palencia), they have already booked her time to voice horo in the english dub. Also that the time slots for a november to early jan airing have been booked in japan.

now could this all be a big fat lie, maybe. but I sure hope it isn't!
Oh and by the way, Brad Pitt is my cousin. Yeah, and Justin Timberlake is my dad. He had me at a really young age, but he won't acknowledge that I'm his son.
You know it's true, because I'm some random guy from the internet.

And, just to be clear on the blonde-haired thing vs. brown, the novels' illustrations by Jyuu Ayakura don't match up with the writing of Isuna Hasekura. Even though the pictures in the novels show Holo as having brown hair, Hasekura does write her as a young woman with blonde hair and red eyes.

To prove this, I'm going to provide a quote from page four of Volume 4, "The girl with her dark red eyes and flaxen hair was named Holo" (Hasekura, 4).

For those who don't know, flaxen hair is another term for blonde hair. It seems that writers normally use that word to describe blonde-haired women, particularly if they're young and beautiful.

Source:
Hasekura, Isuna. Spice & Wolf. 4. New York: Yen Press, 2011. 4. Print.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-03-09 at 13:32. Reason: don't triple-post
liars_paradox is offline   Reply With Quote