View Single Post
Old 2011-07-20, 18:07   Link #167
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
I would be more inclined to agree with this had the characters ever expressed any awareness that their previous theories were wrong. They haven't, not once. Thus my only conclusion can be poor writing on Kubo's part. Such problems occur when you write a story from week to week with no real plan laid out. It's happened to me before while writing and I'm certain it's happened to him too.
I'm not denying that it wasn't poor writing on Kubo's part mind you, I'm just pointing out that it isn't inconsistent story-wise, or "in-universe". Kubo just has to notice it and follow through with it or it WILL leave a blatant inconsistency. Maybe an "Oh look, I was wrong!" from the character that previously made that confident assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It's just that I view such interpretations as Fanwanking. Whilst they might be considered realistic explanations, they are ultimately baseless. You can believe it but there's nothing to verify or falsify it. I'd consider explanations such as "Kubo's writing is poor" to make more sense since they're actually based on things.
It's baseless, true, but it's the only in-universe explanation. "Kubo's writing is poor", while it might be true, don't have anything to do with justifying actions in-universe, which seems like the main concern.