View Single Post
Old 2011-07-18, 05:50   Link #66
dingmajiao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
So in traditional mahjong Rinshan Kaihou doesn't add any Fan but you can still call a winning hand even if you don't have a multiplier? The tough thing about Japanese mahjong is you can't call your hand until you get a multiplier. That makes Saki's power even stronger, since she can win off really crappy hands cutting off an opponent's big win with a Rinshan Kaihou.
Same goes for Chinese mahjong(not really traditional I'll say).. You need at least 1 Fan to be able to win.. If not you'll be paying other people for winning on a fake hand(a hand with no value).. At least that's what I know for Chinese mahjong..

But drawing from the dead wall is not just limited to Kans, drawing a flower/animal tile also entitle to a draw from the dead wall and certain flowers and all animals tile add to Fan values.. So Saki's style of playing still pretty much is deadly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Sadly, the scoring system is its weakness. Sure, if your hand is countable beyond 5 han, it's easy. But below that... y'need to count two variables; then match values to a table. Meh... I just complain based on playing the game via computer only. Yet, I'm aware of people who gather to play. All I have to do is show up.
Personally I think that one of it's other huge weakness is it give hidden hands SUCH huge bonuses that you can't try to feed off other people..
That's a huge major weakness compared to Chinese mahjong(the other mahjong that I played)..
dingmajiao is offline   Reply With Quote