View Single Post
Old 2011-06-23, 07:26   Link #72
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
The JSDF's 7.62x51mm isn't comparable to the NATO standard but it would still cause greater damage than the 5.56x45mm.
Allegedly this was because the average Japanese soldier was smaller and couldn't eat up the recoil as well as larger western soldiers, but considering that even THOSE guys ultimately gave up trying to use 7.62X51mm in any capacity beyond semi auto battle rifles suggests that the JSDF might have been on to something with their reduced power cartridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
That said I do agree they'd want something with more punch, I'd just expect to see the majority of soldiers armed with the newer rifle.
Keep in mind that this is a recon unit they explicitly put together to go recon beyond the portal. So I'd imagine that they'd have SOME discretion about the equipment they'd use.

If the infantry that fought off the initial invasion in Tokyo had a great deal of trouble killing the larger fantasy monsters with the Type 89's, it'd be entirely reasonable fr the leader of the Recon platoon to request Type 64's to be taken out of storage for his unit. They DID built hundreds of thousands of the things.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote