View Single Post
Old 2010-05-27, 15:54   Link #549
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

A few comments in reply to Clayton's review of the Xebec version of Negima:

-Which version of Negima did you watch: the original Japanese version or the English dub (in which Negi is actually voiced by a guy). If it's the dub, then I'm one who actually liked Negi's dubbed voice (as it brings the cute charm of Negi that I like).

-One of the big problems with the Xebec version is that the people writing that show had absolutely no clue that this was a shounen title and, judging by the first two volumes of the manga, thought it was another harem title a la Love Hina (when in reality, Ken did the first two volumes a la a harem title to throw the editors of Shounen Magazine off before making it the shounen title that we see today). A big example of this is what they did to the "kissing contest" storyline. To the people writing the anime, they thought that this story would make perfect fodder to fill up the show's 26 episode order. However, in reality, this story is more than just simple "harem fluff", as the manga version of the story actually ended with Nodoka accidentally making a Pactio with Negi (the main reason why I began to read the manga in the first place, since I read about the manga spoiler on a different message board, and was very disappointed that the anime version failed to adapt that part of the kissing contest).

-The Demon Pact arc is nothing more than a crappy anime-only storyline that Xebec did instead of doing a proper telling of the Kyoto arc. Trust me, there's a lot of great stuff besides Nodoka's Pactio that Xebec cut out of the Kyoto field trip (i.e. a fourth mercenary that would eventually room with some of Negi's students, the fact that Setsuna is actually part bird-demon). If Xebec was smart, they should have had the final episodes focus completely on the Kyoto field trip and hope that the show gets picked up for 26 more episodes. Instead, the company butchered the arc down to two episodes and created an anime-only storyline to end the series, with said storyline being a spit in the face to the manga that the show is based on.

Last edited by TnAdct1; 2010-05-27 at 16:13.
TnAdct1 is offline   Reply With Quote