View Single Post
Old 2010-02-24, 04:19   Link #28
BanishingBook

^ - Dragun-san I'm with you.

Jeez jeez and another jeez... sigh... I wish people would do their research before they throw you "is this another power rangers thread" ...

(Going slightly offtopic here: )

And sigh is it just me but... is Sentai less popular than anime or manga? Late 80's and early nineties were definitely the peak of the Sentai Spirit(or Tokusatsu). And I get the feeling that ever since year 2000 Tokusatsu(generalizing here to include Kamen Rider and Ultraman) hasn't been regarded as an important part of Japanese otaku culture. Tokusatsu is generally tied to shonen right? So Tokusatsu --> shonen --> anime. In my opinion tokusatsu doesn't even greatly appeal to the average anime otaku these days, unlike in the past. Well some of the Japanese do love their Sentai, Kamen Rider and Ultraman but I'm not seeing it from younger fans of anime from elsewhere.

Is it alright if I blame Saban's Power Rangers? or Disney? I reckon the Power Rangers were behind all of it! Ever since Saban's meddling with Sentai, it has shaped the stereotypical view that most of us tokusatsu fans are mere childish geeks. Sigh there's more anime and manga, but barely Tokusatsu otaku. lol

@ mg1942: Oh I love Maskman too, the muscle intro still scares me though. XD
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote