View Single Post
Old 2009-12-11, 20:24   Link #44
Zinjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And I am not too sure if I'd agree to the claim that Macross not being a major title for Bandai. Certainly it is the second largest mecha franchise in Japan. I think the issue here is that Bandai doesn't really care about the anime market here in North America. After all, East Asia is where all the money is (for now). Moreover, since Gundam will never suffer from the same legal issues, we can't really use it as a gauge. On a further note, anime merchandise sales in NA pales in comparison when the East Asian market is considered. Therefore, how much emphasis do Japanese companies place on our market begs to be asked.

- Tak
I suspect that is the biggest reason why BW isn't fighting to get it's TM back. The cost benefit ratio is too low for the West. Asia is still an open market for Macross merch and that is where the focus is going to be. Follow the money and the rest will make sense. RT is a niche within a niche market in the West, so HG will agressively try to protect it, but the reality is that HG made its money from licensing foreign films, dubbing them and them selling them in the West. RT was more an accident for them rather than a conscious business plan.

They abandoned the franchise in the 90's due to lack of interest and the better ROI on doing their regular business of import sales. It wasn't until DVD became mainstream and the Anime market matured that they started peddling the show again.
Zinjo is offline   Reply With Quote