View Single Post
Old 2009-11-26, 13:58   Link #52
Icehawk

The dub does sound pretty well done. After watching the first two eps, I still prefer the original, but I have to give them credit for doing as good a job as they have. This was one that really could have gone bad.

English Lawrence, in comparison to his Japanese version comes across as a bit older and a somewhat more rough and serious person, his Japanese voice makes him sound his age, but also still conveys a sense of naive innocence in the way he speaks. The english version, I dont really get that same feeling from him, he seems like an almost fully serious adult merchant.

For Holo, in the first episode atleast, the english VA just doesn't seem to convey that mature yet playfull flirty aspect of Holo's character nearly as well as the Japanese and instead puts most effort into the serious "wise wolf" part of the character in the way she delivers her lines.

Thankfully, in the second episode, both english VA's seemed to be filling into their rolls a little better were able to bring out more of the of the characters as they should be. I was also decently impressed with the few side characters as well, they all atleast sounded natural enough and the only moment that made me cringe a little was the "Its Chloe Chloe Chloe!!" part of ep 1.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote