View Single Post
Old 2009-10-02, 13:36   Link #97
kenshin-dono
I'm on a boat!!!

wow i just glanced at a couple of the key scenes, that one at the end and the scene at the start with the conversation ont he docks.

simply changing the I love you line to i like you is fail in my book. I also noticed the translation is different. In the scene near the beginning that i always found confusing, by teh docks:

theyre kinda different in general
frostii
L: If this deal succeeds and i become a town merchant, you'll bid me farewell after words of blessing. If this deal fails,you'll be disgusted by my ineptitude and become a wolf again, abandoning me for being unworthy of you, and then you'll head to your homeland
Therefore, the only way i can keep traveling with you is to call off the deal.
And i know you'll say 'dont give up everything just too..
H: just to bet on such a small chance.
l:that's why i didn't want to tell you
H: do you really think that way?
L:yes
H: and you think i'd be happy to hear that?"
L: I dont
*slap*
H: i wont say im happy. I'll never say im sorry.
L: that completely destroyed any chance of us traveling together. this is what you wanted isn't it?
*Horo looks very hurt/sad opens mouth to say something*
H:I'll remember you as a calculating cold hearted fellow
L:lets go
*they get to the place they will sell her for colateral horo is crying*
H:i'm sure god doesnt' exist in this world. If there really is this god almighty that you humans speak of, then why does he only watch quietly as we suffer

mazui
L: if the deal goes well and i become a successful merchant, you'll congratulate me then bid me farewell.
And if the deal goes bad, you wouldn't stand being sold, so you'd transform into a wolf and abandon your useless companion so you could return home.
In other words, the only way i can continue traveling with you is to throw away this chance. Im sure your going to tell me, "Dont throw it all away--
H: "--just to gamble on a single thread of hope"
L:"Thats why i didn't want to say"
H:is that what you really think?
L: yes
H: that id be happy with that?
L:yes
*Horo slaps lawrence*
H: I wont say im happy. But i definitely wont say im sorry
L: With this, our chances of traveling together any farther have completely vanished. This is what you wished for, right?
*Horo looks very hurt/sad opens mouth to say something*
H: I will remember you as a c alculating, cool-headed merchant
L: shall we go?
*they get to the place they will sell her for colateral horo is crying*
H: if there is an all powerfull god like they say, why does he let us suffer so much?

It looks like they do make lawrence sound worse there, and changing i dont to yes kinda changes the intent. It makes it seem like he totally knows at that point that she wants to stay with him but is just messing with her to be a dick.

Im going to rewatch all 3 versions back to back *yeesh thatll take a while* when sfw's is out so i should have a better idea by then of which one i want to keep, but i would probably say that frostii does let their hatred of lawrence color their subs.

honestly this scene still seems awkward to me and still doesn't make much sense with either translation. I know shes supposedly pushing him away from her so he can realize his dream and because shes scared of getting close to him and finishing their journey, but good lord the part near the end its so obvious she doesn't want to say goodbye, shes speechless, then in tears! it just doesn't make much sense