View Single Post
Old 2009-09-26, 21:43   Link #70
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post
ok.. now to me the conversation at the start seems to be him pointing out that any way the deal goes he will lose horo, so he really would rather just not go through with the deal. He wants to throw it all away to still travel with her. i THINK thats what he means by throw it all away to gamble on a string of hope. Is that right?
Before I start, note that I haven't read this volume of the novels. Still, I think you are right. He hasn't wanted to go through with the plan from the start, but Horo keeps pushing him for some reason. She did a total 180 and confused the hell out of him. She played every angle she could to get him to do it: attacking his pride and abilities, using the "do it for me" excuse, practically begging him to do it, and finally slapping him in the face.

I think that whole scene was just him pointing out to her that she's put him in a position he doesn't want to be in, and giving her one last chance. He honestly thinks she doesn't really want him to do it, and it takes a pretty hard slap in the face to convince him to do it. He seems very upset that she's willing to go this far to reject him, when she obviously doesn't want to. So he goes along with it, possibly to give her time to think about how stupidly she's acting.

It makes their next scene much more memorable, because in the end she's pissed off not because he's in love with her, but because he DEFIED her so openly and daringly. He's willing to openly take the plunge and declare that he loves her. Even if she never reciprocates. What he declares is almost purely unconditional love, in fact, he just wants to be with her until they get to Yoitsu. When she realizes that there is nothing she can do to convince him otherwise, she breaks down and cries (I liked the attention to detail there, when she was shaking out of what I presume was a mixture of rage and utter terror at his kindness).

What remains to be seen is what Horo is REALLY afraid of. She clearly isn't afraid of his love, or any of her other lame excuses (like being worried that their relationship will become "less fun"). She's clearly scared of some hidden consequence of their love, but she's so cowardly or proud (or both) she can't even tell him that much. Thankfully, he's now in a position to stand up to her and eventually crack the case, because it seems she'll never tell him on her own. Hopefully that will be the least we get out of season 3

Edit: Another interesting thing is that she mentioned TWICE that she expected him to "take responsibility for what happens from now on". This is one of the signs I'm using to guess that she's worried about the consequences of them falling in love. Is she a praying mantis or black widow or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post
I'm glad there are a few other people here like bash that agree lawrence really came into his own here. Theres a lot of haters out there who complain about him but honestly Horos the one that was being dense and childish here. Lawrence pretty much layed it all bare, and yet shes the one dragging her feet and still refusing to really reciprocate. Shes the one still playing games
I consider him a great character partly *because* people are so polarized by him, yet they still watch the show and comment about it. If you can identify with a character so readily they must be pretty good. But yeah, I do agree that he routinely gets a bum rap and Horo is always given a free pass.. that's just the nature of being the regular human next to a moe wolfgirl deity

Last edited by BashZeStampeedo; 2009-09-26 at 21:55.