View Single Post
Old 2009-08-27, 14:37   Link #81
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawinder View Post
It is if one show is a direct sequel to another. Why do you think the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi got such a bad rap?
There are many different kinds of sequels. Just because a show directly follows up with another one, doesn't mean that it should do everything the same way.

In this case its especially true, because Gundam ZZ by all intents and purposes should have been Zeta 2, considering the fact that it aired directly after Zeta. But it isn't. The creators meant for it to be a different show with different tone. So no matter how you feel sequels should be, fact is that ZZ is a new show, features mostly a new cast and tells a new story that only has a tiny bit to do with the last one.

Quote:
No, just a stupid kid.
Uso is by no means stupid though. He's one of the most creative pilots in the franchise.

Quote:
I think I was pretty clear with what I was getting at, but I was half-joking anyway, so it's not like it's that big a point of contention for me.

Just because it had some different people working on it doesn't make it any less of a sequel. Like I said, the first episode of ZZ is entirely a recap of Zeta and the second episode picks up right after Zeta. If that's not an indication of ZZ being a sequel, I don't know what is.
ZZ is a sequel AND a new show. Its actually quite possible, believe it or not.

Quote:
MSG was plenty serious too, it's not like Zeta is that much of a departure in tone; and personally, with the exception of the last handful of episodes, I didn't think Zeta was all that much darker anyway. And no, Zeta isn't "MSG Season 2," but that's because it came out several years afterward (and even with that gap in time, it was still consistent with MSG's characters). ZZ, on the other hand, started immediately after Zeta, which makes its inconsistencies with MSG/Zeta's characters all the more glaring.
MSG has plenty of silly moments and slap-stick. In fact it got quite bizarre sometimes. And no, it was no fan of melodrama, at least not to the level that Zeta did it.

And again, ZZ's characters were quite consistent with Zeta's. They were placed in a different situation, but that does not change their personalities no matter how you look at it.

Quote:
I also find it hard to believe that Zeta was at all unpopular with viewers. All I've ever heard is praise for Zeta, many people calling it the best Gundam series. The fact that the movies were as successful as they were, 20 years after the series came out, is a testament to how popular the show is.
I am stating things that Tomino said when the Zeta movies were being made, which were offered as an explanation to why a number of changes were made in the movies. If you don't believe it I don't know what to say to you.

All I can say is that Zeta isn't considered the best series at all in its motherland. Why do you think there are so many RX-78/Zaku II models being made? So many spinoff OVAs and games of the OYW? Because the original MSG is.

Quote:
The only change in how Char was depicted was that he became one of the "good guys" (and that has more to do with the show's role reversal in the Earth vs space conflict than anything else). The show never trampled over his character, or made him into the butt of jokes for the sake of some lame humor, the way ZZ did with its characters.
Right, which is why IMO you need to lighten up. Bright and Yazan's dignities aren't serious business, no matter how seriously you took Zeta.

Quote:
Anyway, at this point I'm just repeating myself. I can't really make myself any clearer than I already have, and if you can't even acknowledge something as simple as ZZ being a sequel to Zeta, then there's no point in me continuing.
Of course I do. But you need to understand that a "sequel" does NOT mean the SAME EXACT SHOW, DIFFERENT NAME. ZZ does things differently from Zeta does NOT make it a bad show. You can point out various elements of it that may, but IMO, "disrespecting" characters or placing them in situations that they weren't in aren't it.