View Single Post
Old 2009-08-27, 13:49   Link #80
Rawinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Inconsistent with tone over two shows is not bad writing.
It is if one show is a direct sequel to another. Why do you think the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi got such a bad rap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Uso did something similar in Victory. Is he crazy?
No, just a stupid kid.

Quote:
Newtypes are not realistic, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
I think I was pretty clear with what I was getting at, but I was half-joking anyway, so it's not like it's that big a point of contention for me.

Quote:
It features a new cast, concerns a totally different conflict and by all intents have a totally different plotline. It has different writers, a different character designer, different mecha designers, etc., and most of all, its NOT "Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Season 2", so its a different show.
Just because it had some different people working on it doesn't make it any less of a sequel. Like I said, the first episode of ZZ is entirely a recap of Zeta and the second episode picks up right after Zeta. If that's not an indication of ZZ being a sequel, I don't know what is.

Quote:
Of course, you can say the same exact thing about Zeta being a continuation of MSG too. But Zeta is not MSG, Season 2 either, even though its also got a totally different tone from it. Its noticably darker and overly serious, and in fact, that was a big complaint of TV viewers back then, and a big reason why it wasn't as popular with viewers as the first MSG (according to Tomino)
MSG was plenty serious too, it's not like Zeta is that much of a departure in tone; and personally, with the exception of the last handful of episodes, I didn't think Zeta was all that much darker anyway. And no, Zeta isn't "MSG Season 2," but that's because it came out several years afterward (and even with that gap in time, it was still consistent with MSG's characters). ZZ, on the other hand, started immediately after Zeta, which makes its inconsistencies with MSG/Zeta's characters all the more glaring.

I also find it hard to believe that Zeta was at all unpopular with viewers. All I've ever heard is praise for Zeta, many people calling it the best Gundam series. The fact that the movies were as successful as they were, 20 years after the series came out, is a testament to how popular the show is.

Quote:
Right, but there was a change in how he was depicted, just like Haman and Yazan and so on. Again, I don't think their personalities or what they stood for have changed either. I was directly addressing your criticism that their change in depictions have somehow "disrespected" them.
The only change in how Char was depicted was that he became one of the "good guys" (and that has more to do with the show's role reversal in the Earth vs space conflict than anything else). The show never trampled over his character, or made him into the butt of jokes for the sake of some lame humor, the way ZZ did with its characters.

Anyway, at this point I'm just repeating myself. I can't really make myself any clearer than I already have, and if you're not going to acknowledge something like ZZ being a sequel to Zeta, then there's no point in me continuing. No offense intended, it just seems that the debate is going in circles now.

Last edited by Rawinder; 2009-08-27 at 14:39. Reason: sounded meaner than I intended
Rawinder is offline   Reply With Quote