View Single Post
Old 2009-08-26, 02:19   Link #59
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan View Post
I don't find Double Zeta to be as annoying as most people. A good quarter or maybe even third of the series is wasted by Tomino blatantly departing from what made Zeta great,
ZZ is my least favorite Gundam TV show, but I feel like the only one who had no problem with its goofy side. Instead the failings at the end were what killed me on the show; and it's those forced alterations to the storyline that contributed to it. Heck, I didn't even like the Dublin drop very much. Instead, the only part of the show that had much emotional impact was the part where Leina collapsed and then died. Yeah, the way that ended up turning out wasn't too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawinder View Post
Where did you find all that? The only thing I knew was that Char was supposed to come back as the main character; but when an interviewer asked Tomino how that was supposed to play out, Tomino said he couldn't remember.
I've also read little hints and pieces of different ones online. Here's one from before Zeta Gundam was finished: http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.p...10865&start=22

Excerpt:
Quote:
It also says that Char hasn't killed Haman because he was too busy commanding a force responsible for assassinating all of Earth Federation high officials. After the EF government passes a legislature giving a go sign for Space Migration, Char joins Haman's force. Mineva is happy about Char's return. Char kills Haman when her force was about to attack Earth. During this Bright rescues Mineva. In the last battle, the whole world sees Judau's NT thingy. Judau apparently says something like "being selfish won't free the people and Char's way is selfish too". Char agreed to what Judau said and he actually has a long quote here (which I don't feel like translating, something like people being able to understand each other and able to conquer space, blah blah blah). Camille heard this. The story ends with Judau joining the Mars exploration and Mineva going to Earth.
I can't say that this is any better than the original ZZ and Char's Counterattack combo, and I thought that both of those works were terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawinder View Post
The wasted potential is not what bothers me most about ZZ (though it does bother me). What annoys me most about that show is the childish tone it takes for many of its episodes; it's annoying in of itself, but it's doubly worse because it trivializes and even disrespects what came beforehand in Zeta.
I disagree a bit on where that wasted potential lay, but I do agree overall. ZZ was hardly an unsalvagable show, just one that was ruined by terrible writing choices and utterly awful direction. The first step would have been to create a credible villain. Heck, Haman was already fine at that role, so all they had to do was to think of a way for AEUG to beat her using clever tactics and strategy. But no, they had to build up stupid Glemmy...