View Single Post
Old 2009-08-03, 20:15   Link #203
Cirocco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGT View Post
As I see it, the reason why Holo(Ugh!) wished for a child was not her "love" for Lawrence but rather the fear to be lonely. Normally she would have never considered having a child with a mere human. That would be a grand disgrace for the wise wolf deity Holo(Ick!... man, I have to ge used to the L).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirocco View Post
...But Horo isn't human, though she exhibits many traits and qualities of someone who is. Lawrence's life-span would be a blink of eye for Horo. Still, having a child (a demi-deity, like Hercules?) could ease the burden of loneliness in her future.
I agree. Even deities can be lonely. And Horo would readily welcome a child, her child, into her life to share a meaningful social connection that she has re-discovered in her companion Lawrence. And having a child from Lawrence who she adores and loves plays well with her maternal kindred spirit. She, after all, has adopted a town and its citizens to ensure a bountiful harvest with a solemn pact.

But what she considers a non-issue, her bearing a child from a mortal who she has shared intimate closeness, has become an unexpected heartache. She feels blind-sided, not realizing that Lawrence would object to her desire for a child. Love conquers all, or so they say. She may have overestimated the intimacy and approval from Lawrence.

Some myths, especially from Greece, display gods cavorting and intermingling with humans, giving birth to gifted offspring. So the Wise Wolf would be in good company.