View Single Post
Old 2009-07-24, 16:01   Link #59
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
I am the only who thought the last part of the episode felt really "scripted"? I really couldn't believe the answers Lawrence gave Horo after she started questioning him, it was like the scene was forcefully set up so Horo could lose her trust in Lawrence.
Not really. Lawrence is clearly taken by surprise, and more than a little afraid of what's happening, so he's completely tongue-tied as a result. It's normal.

As for Horo's reactions - she's very smart, so she's able to make all kinds of connections and deductions very fast. Combined with her emotional state, it plays against her here, by making her fears and insecurities more and more plausible. Normally, she'd have a clearer view of the situation, but right then, she could only see the negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EadTaes View Post
10/10

On the mating to not be alone note I fear that even that would not work.
1) Real life biology says it would be impossible
2) Since this isn't real life but fantasy then it would be likely that the fantasy rules apply. And Generally that means that the kids have the powers of the elevated being but not the immortality. So she could mate and have kids but I fear they would be mortal. Hance would distort Horo even further.
The rules of one fantasy work (or even most fantasy works) need not apply to one particular piece. In other words, we don't know if it'd work or not. Maybe Horo knows it would, or maybe she's grasping at straws - we don't know.

Some people need to not jump to conclusions:
- we still don't know what happened to Yoitsu. Even if we accept a giant bear destroyed the town at some point in the past, we don't know the extent of the destruction. We can't know from mere "legends", which are likely to be deformed and/or exaggerated.
- Horo isn't the last of her kind. She met another pack in S1, remember?
- She may be the last of her own pack... but the truth is, we don't know if her packmates were even there when Yoitsu was attacked. Even if they were, they may have survived. Killing a bunch of giant wolves is easier said than done, even for a giant bear.

To get back at the opinion of Amati expressed in the ep2 thread: he's not trying to buy Horo, but to set her free to accept his proposal. He's not doing it to impose anything (though he may want to impress her...), but because she legally can't marry him as long as she's "in debt" and her creditor doesn't give permission. Falling head over heel practically at first sight like that is a bit juvenile, but it's not evil. He's also a bit delusional in his vision of Horo and Lawrence's relationship - but, well, that's because he's in love.

As for the reputation of the guild - as I said, that kind of impulsiveness is a bit bad, but he'll probably be forgiven on account of his youth. Plus the fact that it takes nothing away from his ability to make a profit. In fact, a bet like that demonstrates his ability to make a large amount in a hurry.

If anything, Lawrence's the one who ought to look bad, if and when Amati pays 1000 silver coins, and Horo still chooses to travel. It could look like a con for gullible rich guys. Fortunately, that's not how it's perceived in town. At least for now.