View Single Post
Old 2009-06-06, 10:51   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hawk View Post
Makes me wonder if we've been playing the same game, as in im playing the game as i type this. *scratches head* Two keyboard configurations; the default one and "compact mode", compact mode has the accepted keyboard configuration as you put it. As for the overall UI, it's fucking shitty and one of the main reasons newbies leave out of frustration.

For the EQ1 comparison, i disagree with you 200%. FFXI gfx is superior then to that old dog. Since im still playing WoW (raid responsibility) i find FFXI to be better. (then again thats like apples and oranges since WoW goes with the cartoony look)
The compact mode still had all sorts of issues (am comparing it to a very long list of MMOs both American commercial and asian f2p; WOW was late in my MMO career and I dropped it almost 2 years ago) -- but your comment about the UI... yeah. A person can learn to work with absolutely terrible UI if they're excited or motivated enough. But there's a lot of competition out there. Warhammer's interface is completely configurable, for example. The AgeofConan UI works well for PvP.

I think my disappointment with the graphics stems from the character creation sequence... you get this fairly decent quality animation while you're creating and then you drop in the game.... suddenly your character is stocky and the anatomy isn't quite right anymore. The landscape isn't too bad but there's a lot of open dead space. I'll concede comparing it to EQ1 was hyperbole... but I was expecting better than what I got. WoW was going for a look I'd characterize more closely with the "cute" f2p cartoony games.... FF is more in tune with something like Perfect World but not as gritty as WarHammer or AgeofConan or Camelot.

Many people love this MMO... thats fine and I'm simply explaining why it didn't hold my interest. I certainly plan on giving the new one a look-see in the hopes of a more flexible UI and improved graphics engine.

Currently playing Warhammer, Perfect World, and in the Neosteam beta ... planning on re-activating Age-of-Conan later in the summer to see if they really have fixed the PvP systems.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-06 at 11:02.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote