View Single Post
Old 2008-11-21, 19:08   Link #87
sk3

Ok i finally found out the problem i'm having with mplayer, and i'm pretty sure everyone has it but no one notices it.

After watching a movie and then closing the file, i got activity monitor open and i noticed that mplayer os x was using about 350MB of RAM. now i suppose that this is a memory leak present in mplayer and that makes mplayer OS X eat so much memory. I also noticed that when i try to close it, it takes a long while to close, but at some point, activity monitor refreshes and shows a usage memory of 96MB of RAM and then the program closes.

I've experienced this every time i watch something on mplayer os x for a while.

I'm going to try compiling mplayer on mac os x and see if the latest SVN revision works. I hope so

EDIT1: i've finished compiling mplayer and posted a link for download if anyone want to try it out.

http://localhostr.com/files/23ed95/mplayer.zip

So far so good but i didn't test it with the right time. tonight i'll check it out and see if makes a difference.

Versions:

MPlayer dev-SVN-r27807-4.0.1 - this is the revision of the mplayer included in the latest rev7 of Mplayer OS X Extended

MPlayer dev-SVN-r27978-4.0.1 - this is the revision of my first try at compiling mplayer

The compilation was made following the steps anime_layer wrote on the compiling thread of mplayer 2008.

If someone decides to test it, please report the problems

EDIT2: Ok, so i tested this build and looks fine, at least with several MKV's. I noticed also a small decrease in "breaks" that mplayer always done but that might be because of the file sizes.

Anyway, the problem persists, but at least i got a different result this time. At least this time Mplayer OS X consumed for the same time, only 290MB. This might be possible because of more recent SVN revision, but my problem still exists, and now what's left to do is to search for some kind of "memory leak" on Mplayer OS X GUI.

i don't know if this is true but as you can see in the following screenshot, it's the result of mplayer os x after running for about 5 hours continuously:

About other stuff, i don't really know but it might be possible that the recent version uses less CPU for decoding. i say this because i heard less noise from fans but might be coincidence.

Anyway, if somebody has the courage to test this build, comment about your experience

Also, Ryoujin it would be great if you tested this build and check if your lag problems are gone.

Last edited by sk3; 2008-11-22 at 01:03.