View Single Post
Old 2008-10-23, 09:35   Link #71
sk3

I've been trying to track the problem i have and i think i've came across "some" logic.

I've been monitoring my "anime sessions" where i watch many files continuously (from the same series or various different series). I MAINLY watch MKV's h264 so it's my "standard" format to watch. I've came across some interesting things.

After these "sessions" when i close mplayer os x, my laptop slows down so much that i cannot even use finder or the Dock. the animations are frozen and the system won't do anything until mplayer os x fully closes. now the best part is, i've noticed and tracked the behavior. When i tell mplayer os x to quit while having a file opened, mplayer stops almost immediately (1-2 seconds not much more) and the mplayer os x closes IN THE CONSOLE after 10 seconds or maybe less/more depending on the usage. Now the best part is that even after mplayer os x is closed and logged on the console, the process STILL EXISTS and is in the dock like it's opened. This is a strange behavior because, since it's logged that mplayer os x was closed, why is it on the Dock after it's closed ?

my "idea" about this is, like you, anime_layer said, mplayer now loads fonts and stuff directly to the memory. Is it possible that when mplayer os x is closed that it's doing something like a safe clean of the memory it used?

This behavior has been detect about 3 times after i've been watching files for some hours, i also noticed that sometimes (really rare times) my while i have a opened file, my Dock will look so bad that the effects lag sometimes (like it has low FPS to process the effect). this is another behavior i've noticed using this build of mplayer os x. I didn't have any of this problems using the other builds so i could say that it might be some problem with mplayer itself and not mplayer os x.

Other than that my files open flawlessly (i've only came across 1 or 2 files that would crash mplayer os x, but would opened right after).

oh and this was done on a fully formatted macbook pro. i've formatted it like 1 week and half and only installed the important applications.