View Single Post
Old 2008-10-05, 21:49   Link #68
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
The only one I am calling plot hole on is the Marianne storyline just because I find it goes past the suspension of disbelief that so many intelligent people like Cornelia, Bismarck, and Jeremiah can not tell the difference between a person who is good, and pure, and Marianne who is kind of a massive bitch.
Considering most of the things that make her look like that only happened after her physical death...it's entirely possible that the Marianne they knew did meet their expectations, at least in some way, while she was alive. It's true, however, that her character was poorly treated, mainly because everything happened so fast.

Quote:
Overall Code Geass biggest crime was simply planning, instead of planning something that reads naturally like say Gurren Lagann, it reads like a complete mess.
I wouldn't put it that way, but at its core that's a very valid point...and partially the fault of the time slot change and the accompanying modifications the series went through. The staff, naturally, could have handled it better, but it does seem they originally wanted to take advantage of the cliffhanger's momentum and not spend time partially re-booting the show, which was what we got.

Quote:
Several plot lines seem to have been aborted, but the biggest one was that Suzaku was supposed to be related to Geass, and in the end he wasn't. As I already mentioned more than half of the KoR should have been removed to keep the feel of the KoR as Aces, and not Fodder.
Suzaku's presumed connection to the Geass hardly got off the ground, we only had a few hints, so it's hard to say what it could have been...but it's probably the one abandoned subplot which has the most specific evidence behind it (in other words, we can clearly tell something was originally planned and left in the cutting room floor). The other examples that are often cited as "aborted subplots" tend to more closely resemble particular audience expectations, perhaps reading too much into a couple of things, than anything else per se.

Quote:
If Taniguchi's plan was to be as good as a Tomino directed anime than he failed, if his plan was to be as good as Gundam Wing, than I would put that as a success, because while R2 does bring CG down, it doesn't bring them down below GW.
Unless we can actually read Taniguchi's mind, it's impossible to know whether he was trying to do anything remotely like what you describe. Then again, I'd still say Code Geass was a better show than a couple of Tomino-directed series (the man made certain masterpieces, the original Gundam first and foremost -particularly the movie adaptations-, but also other series of varying quality where opinions may be divided).

Quote:
I forgot to mention the best part of Code Geass was the unintentional comedy like Lelouch's pope outfit, Emperor Rocket, and the Fetish Fuel of the ending.
All that really didn't do much for me, to be honest, but I guess that's one thing that will always attract attention. Also, I imagine the staff wasn't entirely aloof about the comedic potential of some of those scenes or outfits.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote