View Single Post
Old 2008-09-22, 23:51   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Ok, that line is taken way out of context it's not even funny.

He said "Japan is the only country that has had one culture, one civilization, one race, and one language" at the opening ceremony of a cultural museum in Kyushuu.
He did not state in any way, that that is his political goal. It was statement saying Japan has been, for the majority, only one culture in its history.
(In contrast to say, China which is compromised of various mixed east asian culture, race and language, and obviously the "melting pot" of the world America)

That statement is not entirely true, of course, since there were other cultures in Japan (and other nations with the same trait).
But majority of those predates the current Japanese culture, and it still doesn't change the fact that the country's history was comprosed in majority of one culture by a single race.
(the "sakoku" period during the modern times in 19th century no doubt attributed to it also, and postponed the modernization process)

There has been many media... especially in his opposition party and outside of Japan, that only quoted part of that line, to make it look like that was his political goal.
Political pandering makes me sick to the stomach.
Ah.. so its more like the "Japan is fortunate to have four seasons unlike other places" sort of cultural-centrism.
But it helps a lot to have that "has had".....

Yeah, I give him less than a year ... and I'll also wager that the Japanese voters may actually start to be getting a little pissed at that point. They don't seem to care if there's graft or insider "good old boy" ... but let the infrastructure run rough at the rails long enough and well, now *that* will be interesting to watch if they do. Status quo, applecart, oxen everywhere...