View Single Post
Old 2008-09-22, 22:30   Link #39
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
Turns out I've consumed 3-6 litres of Yili milk in the past month. Shame as those milk are the tastierst ones we get here in Hong Kong.

Taro Aso wins the LDP leader vote by a landslide.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7628495.stm

As a non-Japanese in Asia, I'm not looking forward what Taro Aso might do...
Ok, that line is taken way out of context it's not even funny.

He said "Japan is the only country that has had one culture, one civilization, one race, and one language" at the opening ceremony of a cultural museum in Kyushuu.
He did not state in any way, that that is his political goal. It was statement saying Japan has been, for the majority, only one culture in its history.
(In contrast to say, China which is compromised of various mixed east asian culture, race and language, and obviously the "melting pot" of the world America)

That statement is not entirely true, of course, since there were other cultures in Japan (and other nations with the same trait).
But majority of those predates the current Japanese culture, and it still doesn't change the fact that the country's history was comprosed in majority of one culture by a single race.
(the "sakoku" period during the modern times in 19th century no doubt attributed to it also, and postponed the modernization process)

There has been many media... especially in his opposition party and outside of Japan, that only quoated part of that line, to make it look like that was his political goal.
Political pandering makes me sick to the stomach.

Last edited by aohige; 2008-09-22 at 22:45.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote