View Single Post
Old 2008-09-05, 14:02   Link #27
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
OK let me define my words, I do not give a horse's ShXT whether it took 50 years or if Ozawa was a former senior LDP MP and I certainly care less whether foreign press, critics, and/or opinion approves or not.
As I have painfully stressed, Domestic problems first and everything else like foreign affairs can be thrown in to the back burners for now.
Then... its probably a good thing you aren't in charge because Japan is a bit too important in the world to "not give a shit" about its foreign perception and relations. However, you're on target with the need to "clean up home affairs".

I find the pressure for her run at the office interesting. Is it cynical diversion? A real attempt to shake things up? A realization that all those women voters are kind of pissed off with the failure in "rice'n'soy" issues? (what we call bread'n'butter issues in the US).

It is pretty clear the public in Japan is damned unhappy with the inability of the politicians to steer the bureaucracy and unhappy with the bureaucracy for forgetting their cushy lairs require keeping the populace at least marginally satisfied with government services (roads, healthcare, transit, help for rural sectors, etc).