Thread: Licensed Vinland Saga
View Single Post
Old 2008-08-22, 05:41   Link #30
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I finally got through 43-45 today.

I repeat: Canute is scary. Although the way he denounces God ought to be described as nothing less than fucking epic. Take that, God! It's humanism five centuries early and you can't do anything about it!

Hahaha. He's smart, he's strong, he's brave, he's ruthless, and he's a very complex and intriguing individual. Of course the spotlight is his to take!

Thorfinn can get his time later, when the old man eventually dies -- and he will, there's no doubt about it, although it might be like 100 chapters later -- and/or the Canute plot resolves. I mean, it's Vinland Saga, so I'm sure our young plucky hero will sail westward to Vinland at some point.
This might be an overstatement, but out of all the more extreme action mangas, I really can't name a character that you can just take and plug into other action mangas and be like "you'll work it out, you'll fit right in" other than Askeladd. His weaknesses are essentially all there to give his character more depth and excuses himself from being hated. An example is his feat of beating Thorrs. He didn't do it fair, but he still forced Thorrs to use a sword, something Thorkell could not. He's like an evolved Vegeta over the generations of media, and we all know 50-80% of kids back then including some of us always went "Yeah, Vegeta is totally cooler than Goku" even though Vegeta was the biggest stepping stone in the series. Askeladd makes being a stepping stone COOL. That is an accomplishment. And heck, he might not even get stepped on. he just might be some damn dirty boulder that while people COULD climb, no one ever DOES. Kay not sure if anyone got that >.> lol

Quote:
I'm really not sure how they'd conclude his tale though; the Vindland adventure is a given (otherwise, why the name?), but the historical fate of the Viking expedition isn't the most encouraging way to end a story. It's like, he raped England, he crushed other Vikings, he raided France, he fought all the way to Constantinople and Baghdad maybe, and then he died fighting natives in the New World...
Actually, such things can always be like oh he died of old age or something, or maybe you won't even see him dying before the story ends. I mean, is Thorfinn even acknowledged as a real person in history? Cause I can't see Thorrs as a real person in history. Not talking about his fighting ability, I mean that he chose to take his wife somewhere else. Sure, it can happen, but in real life, how many times does a guy who holds such power abandon it for some concept he had in his head? Not saying he's an idiot, just saying it's amazing if history had someone in such a position (unlike say, the Pope or Dali-Lama or any position where going OHHH I GOT IT would kinda be acceptable) that they'd just take off. =]
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote