View Single Post
Old 2008-06-25, 23:58   Link #61
AdemoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
hurr durr herpa derp derf
That's a waste of bandwidth right there...

I agree with the rest of your post the Fluff, and respect your encoding skill, but then there's that theory of yours:

Quote:
The three people who care can obviously read Japanese or the credits would be useless
Not necessarily, many groups [Solar Fansubs and AniKraze to name two] translate a good amount of the credits. And taking those Romanized names into Google Translate, is a fairly useful starting point for researching a impressive staff member.

Quote:
so why aren't they watching raws?
Many reasons.
  • They want to learn Japanese, by being exposed to the language; while using the aid of translation.
  • Some speech in anime is easier to follow when reading it then listening, even if you know the langauge.
  • Creating a screenshot with the subtitles allows the static image to have context and dialog.

Quote:
Also, as Doughnuts points out, it has for a long time been quite common to make one lossless encode of the OP/ED and then splice that in for each episode.
Fortunately, this isn't as common is it could be. Since many shows, end their episodes with the beginning of the ED music. [ex: FMA, Gundam Seed] So splicing would create a noticeable hiccup in audio.

On Topic: My opinion on Ordered Chapters is that, encoders should wait until it's as simple on Linux and Mac, as it is on Windows, to watch a OC release.

At the moment, the patch LoneShadow created is a commendable start, and I've seen other efforts like this. But until it's added to the official mplayer build, it will only help those aware of the patch.

Last edited by AdemoS; 2008-06-26 at 00:18.