View Single Post
Old 2008-06-13, 14:34   Link #58
Doughnuts

I don't think people are unaware of that, it's just they assume their audience isn't interested in the credits anyway. I'm not a fan of it myself because I do occasionally need to check credits and the video is the best source, but I can understand why they do it. It can take a fair bit of time because it needs re-timing, possibly editing so karaoke isn't blocking text etc, then re-encoding, whereas using an existing encode can be as simple as muxing in with a chapter file. It's not just the ordered chapter folks doing this though, many fansub groups have been doing it with all their releases for ages, infact it's probably the norm.

I'd appreciate it if subbers left the ED in each episode as it is. They never usually need as many bits as an OP, so there won't be a significant loss in video quality of the rest of the episode, and retiming is easy with Aegisub. I can undertstand entirely why someone would want to encode the OP seperatly in many cases, especially Kurenai's OP, has a massive effect on the quality of the whole episode. Using ordered chapters just to save bandwidth though is just silly.