View Single Post
Old 2008-05-07, 16:46   Link #81
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Tak: The VB-6 Konig isn't a fighter, but it IS a flying Monster... which solved the main mobility issue of the original. The point for me (and I quoted that, not 4Tran), wasn't that it was a fighter... but that it was brought out of a game to be dropped into the main universe, and definitely was a homage to the old Monster of the original Macross, so I can't see them being afraid to show earlier fighters in the series or designs which hearken back to them.

And at this point, the VF-11 wouldn't be a front-line fighter; given the VF-17 was supposed to be its replacement, and the VF-171 seems to have replaced the VF-17... it'd be like sending a VF-4 out to fight the Vajra.
Except, the point I am making is that, as an artillery piece, the VB-6 require the least UPGRADE compare to other variable equipment possessed by the NUNS. Certain real-life military equipment, such as artillery units, usually end up on the bottom of the list for upgrades, as priorities are often provided to front-line combat units such as tanks and fighters. Thus why the US of A still retain the B-1 and F-117 bombers for DECADES while we've seen numerous frontline fighters rolling out from the assembly line.

As for them paying homage, look, its not even all that fascinating. Macross F is not the first Macross series to pay homage to old series. We've seen VF-1s and the MONSTER in Macross PLUS. The VF-1J was used EXTENSIVELY in Macross 7, as well as seeing the original MONSTER in action. Since VF-X 2 was released well AFTER the two shows finished their run, and that its treated as canon, its only sensible to bring the MONSTER, now upgraded into the VB-6 to Macross Frontier. Yeah, its NICE to see the Monster back again, but its not like the producers INTENTIONALLY wanted to pay homage. From a production standpoint, its a lot easier to use what is already available. Certainly saves them a lot of trouble coming up with another brand new unit.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote